NetThing is the renewal of an annual forum to strengthen Australia’s Internet governance community, and consists of robust Australia-based Internet policy exploration and discussion. Over time we aim to become the re-birthed, reinvigorated Australian connection to the Internet Governance Forum.
This annual forum will focus on:
- Building a diverse and inclusive Internet governance community in Australia.
- Exploring national and international Internet governance policy issues.
- Sharing technical expertise and policy understanding in a way that people with less technical experience can understand and relate to.
- Acting as an apolitical and non-partisan forum advocating the benefits of the Internet and related services and technologies.
It functions as a symposium where a diversity of views and perspectives are shared but will not itself seek to formulate final positions or make decisions.
Outcomes for participants
- Acts as a forum for individuals, community groups, industry leaders, government representatives, academics, students, media – all Internet users –to discuss Internet-related issues in Australia together in a connected and collaborative way.
- Insights and knowledge gained inform your respective communities and networks.
- Insights and knowledge gained inform and build towards regional and national initiatives global initiatives (IGF World Forum).
Five themes will be explored in the first NetThing are:
- Policy – the intersection of society, economics, law, politics and the internet.
- Inclusion – creating an internet for everyone, and an internet community that is everyone.
- Technology – the technologies that build and use the internet.
- Security – cybersecurity, cybersafety, infrastructure protection, identity and financial protection, through the lens of the internet.
- The future – speculative, fun, inspirational views of the future internet.
Join the conversation and get involved
NetThing is for individuals, community groups, industry leaders, government representatives, academics, students, media – all Internet users – to discuss Internet-related issues in Australia.
We like to think of it as a forum for decision makers NOT a decision making forum 🙂
There’s three ways to join the conversation and get involved
- Register and come to our first forum!
- Join the organising committee. We meet every 3-4 weeks, via Zoom. Send us an email and someone will get back to you.
- Join the mailing list below